
I now have two toddlers in my house, and I'm not sure how it happened. Thing 1 and Thing 2 turned 1 yesterday and are now my big boys. S has been working on their birthday video, and it's simply amazing to look back at pictures and videos from the first few weeks/months and then to look at how far we've come. There is a period from about 6 weeks to 3 months, that neither one of us really remember...literally. It's upsetting to me to think that I just don't have memories from this time period, but it reminds me of just how hard it really was. Between neither boy gaining weight like they should, having to supplement with formula after each nursing session, Thing 1's projectile spitting up 20-3o times a day before meds, and Thing 2's extreme colic/screaming for hours on end, and Bub starting Kindergarten - I guess we should just be thankful that we're all still alive.
Thankfully, things have gotten better over the past few months. I'm learning, like so many other twin moms, it doesn't get easier necessarily, just better or different.
Yeah, it's great that they can crawl and cruise now - but that means they go in opposite directions and you have to decide who's going to cause the greatest bodily harm and chase them.
Yeah, it's wonderful that they know the other twin exists now - but that means a whole new fun game of tackle my brother and pin him to the ground until he lets out a blood curdling scream that would rival a screech owl.
Yep, it's so amazing when they see Mommy and come crawling as fast as they can to get smooches and loves - but that means one kiddo is going to be in second place and will push and shove until he finds his rightful spot on her lap. Even if it means demolishing his brother in the process.
See, different, not easier.
But here's to different!

Here's what Thing 1 is up to these days.
He's cruising on anything and everything that will sit still long enough. He took one step yesterday as he was lunging towards me, so I'm sure walking's not too far away.
He stands pretty well, and usually does better if he's not thinking about it.
He still eats everything in sight and loves his fruits and breads. They got banana muffins yesterday (I'm waiting for the party for cake) with their candles. After one bite, Thing 1 showed his appreciation with a rousing "Mmmmmm."
He loves to play peek-a-boo and will throw his hands somewhere near his eyes to "hide."
Thing 1 has the best truck motor sounds of any kid I know. He suddenly began making the noise a few weeks ago, and now anything that can move, including himself, gets the added bonus of motor sounds. He even makes the sound for himself when he gets a ride in the hamper.
He suddenly decided he wanted to use a pacifier again after banning it for about 2-3 months. I didn't really care either way, but it is nice for him to have a way to self-soothe now. And when he started using the pacifier again, he began to cuddle with his lovey also, they must go hand in hand. Speaking of bedtime, when he knows it's time, he pops his pacifier out and says something to Thing 2 then waves, and nosedives into his crib. It's pretty dang adorable!



Thing 2 has had just as many accomplishments this month, and it's been hard keeping up with the two of them. I had to start keeping notes on my stickies on my computer desktop because I knew I would forget things. It seems like everyday, they have a new skill to show us.
He is also cruising, though not quite as fast as Thing 1. He's definitely our observer and usually watches older brother first before he tries it out. Thank goodness one of them is cautious - Thing 1, not so much.
Thing 2 is also a great eater. Those banana muffins I mentioned? I made them in the jumbo muffin tin so they were huge. Thing 2 finished his off today at lunch.
On top of peek-a-boo, he loves to play "How big is Thing 2?" So big!
His favorite word is "uh-oh" and he loves to use it when Thing 1 throws his sippy cup off the highchair. It's what we call teamwork.
He can also say duck (a du) and uses the corresponding sign to go with it.
He also signs for "more" and uses it correctly! We are so excited to see signs starting! He will let us know when he wants more food and will even look at the food he wants if we give him the wrong thing. Today, I tried to give him a bite of yogurt. He turned his head and then started signing more while staring frantically at the graham crackers. Nice try kid, yogurt first.


So photo shoots with both of them are really fun these days.


This is what the majority of the shots look like.

We love these sweet boys more than anything, and I can only imagine what next year has in store for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment